History of Muthill Golf Club

First attempts by the people of Muthill to establish a golf club ended in disappointment.  A club was formed on the 10th July 1911 and a course constructed at Drumlaken Park on ground leased from the Earl of Ancaster's estate. Records show that it never really got going - and the outbreak of World War I and consequent conversion of the golf course land to agricultural purposes sounded its death knell in 1917.  The club was wound up on 28th March of that year

After a meeting in April 1934 the club was reconstituted.  Lord Ancaster again made land available for the construction of a nine-hole course and local resident Matt Webster, a greenkeeper at Gleneagles Hotel, was instrumental in planning and laying out the course assisted by other committee members.

The course was officially opened on 11th May 1935. Jessie Anderson of Perth, later to become Mrs Jessie Valentine  (the three times British Amateur Champion and one of Scotland's most distinguished lady golfers)  struck the first ball and played the course with Dr J K Sellar, President of the Perthshire Golfing Association.

In its inaugural year the club membership consisted of 20 gents, 14 ladies and 5 juniors and its income of £101.16s.3d was set against expenditure of £93.17s.0d.

The club continued in a modest way for the next several years, whatever surplus revenue there was being used in various ways to improve the facilities, the main item of expenditure £ 112 in 1936 on the construction of a wooden clubhouse which is still in use today as changing rooms and toilets.


alt text

Possibly taken at the opening of the clubhouse August 1936.


Back Row: R J Taylor, J Ballantine (V.Capt), G Adam, Mrs King, D A McLaren (Capt), Mrs McLaren, J Y King, N Reid, D P Morris.

Seated: F Allan, J Nicholl, G W Stuart (V. Pres), W A Foulis, A Adam, Mrs Stewart.


Like most small clubs Muthill struggled to survive the 1939/45 war and it was through the enthusiasm of a small band of devoted members that the club survived these years. On more than one occasion at the end of a season when the Treasurer reported a loss for the year, the then President the late Dr J F Lindsay, was one to remark that he could not see the club enter a new year with a deficit and he would donate 50 per cent of the loss if the Committee members made up the remainder.

In 1940 part of the course was taken over by the Ministry of Agriculture for cultivation, reducing the course to six holes until 1946. Although a seventh hole was in use for a short time it was inconvenient when playing 18-hole medals.When it became obvious that the ground ploughed up in 1940 was not going to be returned to the club the layout was re-arranged to provide a some-what cramped nine holes.  In 1977 an additional five acres were offered to the club by the landlords and a new nine hole course was planned.  The re-designed course and a modest extension to the clubhouse were opened by Willie Milne and Bob Jamieson each of whom had had earlier connections with the club Willie as a junior member in his school days, and Bob's late father was a past Captain.

Since 1981 the club has grown in strength and the membership increased to 400 adults and 50 juniors. Over the last few years visitors have increased tremendously providing welcome additional revenue.



alt text

Members with Mr & Mrs Valentine (seated centre) Golden Jubilee 1985



alt text


Bill Lyon - Frank Smith - Bob Jamieson - Bill McKerricker


The club celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1985 with an invitation mixed foursomes in which Bob Jamieson  (Dunblane),  and Frank Smith (Craigie Hill), assisted and John Stark entertained with his clinic show.

Jessie Anderson (now Mrs Jessie Valentine) was invited to join the celebrations. President George McIntosh welcomed Mr & Mrs Valentine and invited her to present the prizes. Mr Lawrence Cameron a founder member of the club and winner of the first monthly medal in 1935 was also present. In appreciation both he and Mrs Valentine were given Honorary Life  Membership of the club.

Our Partners